Saturday, June 13, 2009

Memories

I'm reading "The American Wife" and really enjoying it.
Amazing when a different style of writing hooks you and keeps you interested.
Supposedly it is to be compared to Laura and George Bush, but not in Texas.
umm hmm, yeah.

ANYWAY ! In the beginning of the book, the main character discovers that her grandmother is gay. This sparked a memory that had been buried for years.
My second cousin, Marie, left her husband and family for her lesbian lover.
Now in the late 60's and early 70's, you didn't say gay.
And being raised as a southern baptist, you didn't say lesbian.
I believe my grandparents called the lover "THAT woman".
AMAZING what one memory can do. I began to remember Marie's family, the kids, the summers we spent on the beach.

There are so many things that I just do not remember -- all blocked out -- I wonder what if this will spark more memories.

No comments: