Sunday, August 16, 2009

The Eagles and Michael Vick

I was stunned to hear that the Eagles had signed Michael Vick.
In fact, I'm still trying to wrap my hands and my thoughts around it.

What he did was wrong.
What he did was evil.
Has he been punished?
Yes, he has taken his punishment.

Do I think that had he not been caught, he would have continued?
yes.
Do I think he is truely sorry?
not really.
There is no way to really know if he is sorry.

Michael Vick's actions and consequences remind me of several lines from "Gone With The Wind" -- (paraphasing here....) Rhett tells Scarlett that she is like the thief who isn't sorry for what he has done until he gets caught -- and then he is terribly, terribly sorry.

He served his time, paid his fines, and basically almost lost his career -- just for acting stupid. Now he is allowed a second chance.
I believe everyone deserves a second chance to prove that they have become a better person. Mike Tyson didn't.
Steve Howe didn't.
And there is some football player in Florida that may be on the same road too -- I don't know his name but I beileve the facts are that he was DUI and killed a child while driving - got one year probation from the NFL.He deserves another chance.

The Eagles Coach, Andy Reid, says that MIchael Vick deserves another chance.
Ok -- the court of public opinion has given his children multiple chances -- oh yes, one, I believe is in jail for driving while under the influence of heroin.

Vick is being "sponsored" or "mentored" by Tony Dungey -- a well respected coach.
I look at Dungey as a spin doctor -- pure and simple.

Maybe Dungey sees something in Vick that I do not.

When reading this clip from the Orlando Sentinental, it just makes me wonder ----
"I was wrong for what I did," Vick said in a standing-room-only news conference at the team's headquarters. "Everything that happened at that point in time in my life was wrong and unnecessary. And, for the life of me to this day, I can't understand why I was involved in such a pointless activity, and why I risked so much at the pinnacle of my career."

We'll see.

No comments: